17th February 2023
I am writing to inform you that the National Education Union (NEU) has declared national industrial strike action, which will take place on Thursday 2nd March 2023. This will affect schools differently based on the proportion of staff who are members of the NEU and the school’s individual context. In order for you to make the necessary arrangements this letter is to give you as much notice as possible that the school will be closed to all mainstream pupils on Thursday 2nd March. However, our Specialist Teaching Facility (STF) is not impacted to the same level so this will remain open to all STF pupils.
This decision has been informed by a thorough risk assessment and is mainly due to a significantly large number of mainstream staff being members of the NEU. If the situation changes, we shall inform you as soon as possible.
As the school will be closed to all mainstream pupils, I have outlined work that pupils should complete during the day of industrial strike action. Pupils should organise their own learning at home and prioritise any work that they already have to complete, such as homework or coursework tasks. In addition, a list of resources for each year group are outlined below to support pupils with remote learning.
- Year 7 – Pupils to work on Gwaith Cartref i Bawb Expressive Arts home learning project. Pupils can access their work booklet on Microsoft Teams and resources to support learning can be found here: LINK
- Year 8 – Pupils to work on Gwaith Cartref i Bawb English home learning project (World Book Day). Pupils can access their work booklet on Microsoft Teams and resources to support learning can be found here: LINK
- Year 9 – Pupils should continue to prepare for their forthcoming examinations. Year 9 pupils will start their examinations on Monday 27th Pupils will have a Humanities exam, Spanish/French exam and Welsh speaking assessments to revise for. A revision pack which includes a revision list for each subject can be found here: LINK
- Year 10 – Pupils should work on their Welsh Baccalaureate Global Challenge. All pupils will be able to access their work booklet on Microsoft Teams. Pupils should start the planning section for the raising awareness pack (Task 2). The lesson instructions and guidance can be found here: LINK
- Year 11 – Pupils to continue with their Welsh Baccalaureate Individual Project. The project contributes to 50% of their final GCSE. Pupils can access their work booklet on Microsoft Teams and resources to support learning can be found here: LINK
Further industrial action is planned for 15th March and 16th March. We will write to you again before these dates with a further update. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the school. Your continued support is valued and appreciated.
Mr. A. Owens