3oz/75g butter plus extra for greasing
8oz/225g self raising flour plus extra for dusting
½ tsp baking powder
4oz/100g caster sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
2-3 tblsp milk plus extra for brushing
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g/ 9oz mascarpone cheese
3 tbsp icing sugar plus extra for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Lightly grease a large baking tray
2. Sift the flour, baking powder into a bowl add the sugar
3. Add butter and rub it in with your fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs
4. In a small bowl beat together the egg and 2 tablespoons of milk.
5. Stir this mixture into the dry ingredients with a fork until you have soft but not sticky dough. Add more milk ONLY if it is necessary
6. Turn dough onto lightly floured work surface and roll out to about 2cm/¾inch thick.
7. Cut out rounds using the large cutter in the drawer.
8. Place on baking tray and brush with milk
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack
10. WASH DISHES
11. To make filling mix the vanilla extract and mascarpone cheese with 2 tablespoons icing sugar.
12. Slice most of the strawberries into a bowl (leave one whole strawberry for each cake) and sprinkle with some icing sugar.
13. Slice shortcakes; place a spoon of mascarpone filling onto base with sliced strawberries on top then put more cheese mixture on the other half of the cake. Wedge together. Sprinkle with icing sugar and top off with a piece of strawberry